Friday, March 18, 2011

{jambo}

So I haven’t written in a while and I’m sorry. I am loving my new home here in Africa. I am staying at the Hostel Hoff and have made loads and loads of friends. The people here are from all over and are the greatest people!


My current project is Hope Village for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children. Mama Cecilia is about 30 years old and has created a miracle for these children. She has always felt a calling to help those less fortunate and proclaims that she loves this new family of her own. She started Hope Village about two months ago now, and came to Hostel Hoff looking for volunteers to help teach her five children learn English, as well as give them one on one quality time.

Meet Juma. Juma is the oldest of the group and is about 7 years old…and he acts just his age. He is constantly running around causing trouble and has a hard time paying attention, yet he’s bright deep down inside. He’s able to write his ABC’s most of the time and loves to be held and is a great soccer player. I’m currently teaching him to hit it off his head which he thinks is awesome.

Say Hello to Shamimu. I swear this girl will be a model someday in that she is absolutely gorgeous. She’s the most timid of the group but her wild side is definitely coming out. I’m slowly but surely getting her to open up to me which is easy with a little bit of love. Most of these kids came from abusive homes where their parents either hit them, gave them alcohol or neglected to care for them correctly which breaks my heart because they have each claimed a part of my heart and I love them each so much.



 
Jessica. Jessica reminds me a little bit of my best friend Terra. She is a stubborn child who loves to do things her way. ;) She’s brilliant though, which is another thing her and Terra have in common. She knows her numbers 1-10, and is always willing to speak up. She loves physical affection such as being held or hugged. I love holding each of the kids on my lap and am slowly teaching each of them, “I love you.” Something they don’t hear enough.

Bonny. Now this little boy would be coming home with me in a split second if only it were that easy. Bonny has a laugh that will steal your heart away with all the ease in the world. If he gets nervous, or doesn’t understand us, which is quite often, he just laughs, rolling his head forward. However, he’s not the brightest of the group. He has a hard time paying attention and somehow always ends up on his head, literally. I’m continually telling him “Kaa chini” meaning to sit down! Every once and a while though, Bonny will yell out the right answer when no one else knows it and it just about blows us away. It’s the best feeling in the world when you see them catching on and grasping the concept.



 
Anitha, pronounced Anita. Most beautiful and brilliant 3 year old you’ll ever meet. Anitha knows 1-10, and is learning her ABC’s and colors in her second language. What child in America could ever do that? She is also one of my favorites because of her laugh, and her little spurts of singing. She loves singing for us, and will often stand in front of you or sit on your lap and talk and talk and talk in Swahili resulting in zero understanding, but complete love. I love her to death and know she’ll go far. She’s a very concentrated thinker and wants to get the answer right each time. She wont ever make a decision unless she’s certain she’s right. What a great trait huh? We could all learn from that I’m sure.

This is my new family out here and I love them to death. Sure they take a whole lot of patience and effort, but I’m excited to see them each day. The hour long walk to get there is definitely worth it. Mama Cecilia is always so grateful for our help and pleads with us often not to give up on her children and keep trying to teach them. She is such an incredible women and has sacrificed so much for these children and loves them so much.  I’m grateful to be able to help.

Other than working at Hope Village I spend a lot of time swimming, traveling around this area of Tanzania to places like Arusha, Lake Chala, and Moshi, as well as talking with people at the hostel, reading, watching the few movies we have, shopping at the craft and art markets, and sleeping. Sleeping sleeping sleeping.

Each day I am here I am reminded of how grateful I am to live where I live, and to be blessed with all that I have. I’m thankful for paved roads, for air condition, for warm showers, for carpet! Oh how I miss carpet, for cleanliness, for hospitals, for owning more than two pairs of clothes, for my truck that runs, and most of all for my family and friends! These are each things that are either non-existent here, or very rare. We take for granted everything we have back at home. Next time you’re upset because you’re stuck in traffic, remember that you are sitting in a running car with air conditioning on a paved road. Next time you can’t sleep well at night, be grateful for the bed your sleeping on, for the blankets you have, and for the roof over your head. It truly is incredible the things we take for granted each day.


2 comments:

  1. A great post cute girl - I could almost picture each one of the children at Mama Cecilia's, you are doing such a wonderful work there! Lots of hugs from home. Thanks for sharing, it makes my day ;)

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kels! Sounds like things are going so well! Oh I would just love to be there and see all that you're doing and meet these adorable kids. We miss you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete